Blogger Earnings Report
Making money with a blog…ahhh…what a concept. Some would argue that blogging is today’s modern day goldrush. Wanna-be bloggers flock to the internet, set up a blog and just watch the cash pour in. If only that were true. Ask any full-time blogger what their secret is and they’ll tell you a lot of hard work, patience and few moments of luck are what likely brought them to where they are today.
As someone who has made a living off the internet for the last 10 years I know that blogging can be profitable and lucrative. But what I don’t know is what other blogger’s earn, or how they earn it or how long it took them to get to that level. So in an effort to bring some transparency to blogger’s earnings, I put together an anonymous blogger’s salary survey and posted it in some of my favorite blogging groups and waited with baited breath for the results. Below I’ll highlight key takeaways from each of the niches (Coupons, Parenting, DIY, Fashion, Travel & Other) We’ll also take a look at the difference in monetization strategies at different revenue levels.
The survey questioned respondents about their niche, monetization efforts, and number of years blogging. If I had this to do over again, I would have asked for page views. However, the information laid out below is still incredibly valuable.
Below are the 5 questions bloggers were asked:
- How long have you been blogging
- What niche do you blog about?
- What is your average monthly revenue
- Rank the monetization strategies (Advertising, Affiliate Marketing, Sponsored Posts, Client Services & Product Sales)
Survey information: (See the survey here)
- 67 Bloggers offered up their salaries and insight into their monetization efforts.
- 64% of respondents make less than $1,000 per month
- 10% of respondents make more than $5,000 per month
- Advertising, Affiliate Marketing & Sponsored posts were amongst the most popular monetization strategies
Lessons learned from the blogger salary survey:
Not all niches are created equal
It’s apparent from the survey results that some niches are more profitable than others. Bloggers in the couponing niche had an average income of $5,000 per month, while bloggers in the parenting niche averaged less than $500 per month.
Sponsored Posts are great for some niches
DIY & Recipe bloggers reported that sponsored posts were the top revenue earner more than any other niche blogger. Parenting bloggers also reported earning from sponsored posts. However, sponsored posts were not as popular with the couponing/frugal living blogger crowd.
More time blogging = More Money
We found that the longer you have been blogging, the more likely that you are in the top earners bracket. This should be great news for newcomers who are hoping to grow their monetization efforts. However, sobering news for bloggers who expect to earn top dollar with a new blog.
Bloggers earning more than $5,000 per month
Below we will take a look at some of the highlights from the top earners who responded to the survey. We’ll take a look at the average monthly revenue, niche and also which of the monetization strategies most utilized by bloggers making more than $5,000 per month.
- Out of a total 67 respondents, 10 bloggers reported making over $5,000 per month including 3 bloggers who are making over $25,000 per month
- 90% of the bloggers making more than $5,000 were in the Frugal Living, Coupons & Deals niche
- Average $5,000+ earner has been blogging over 4.35 years
- 50% of the respondents stated that Advertising was their primary source of income
- 40% stated that Affiliate Marketing was their primary source of income
- Sponsored posts did not account for anyone’s primary source of income (on average it ranked #3)
Advice from Top Earners:
- Content is the key. Quantity and quality.
- Take it one day at a time. Know you will not make $$$ right away. Build a fanbase
- Find a niche and do it well!
- Be unique – and DO NOT COPY other’s work. Befriend someone who has been blogging for a little while and listen to what they say.
Want to see more? Download the full report below!