Congratulations on making the decision to start a mommy blog! Blogging has literally changed my life and I’m so excited that you have decided to take a leap of faith and start one too! Not only can you make money with a blog, but you’ll also get a chance to use your expertise & knowledge to help & connect with people..and friends, that’s what life is all about!
I’m always surprised to hear that most people think that starting a blog is complicated and expensive..and guess what…It’s not really that hard or expensive! In the tutorial below, I will show you how to start a mom blog by securing a domain name, getting hosting for your blog & teach you how to write your first post.
How to Start a Mom Blog
Below I will show you how you can start a blog in less time than it takes you to warm up a bottle in the middle of the night and less expensive than a super pack of diapers and *almost* as rewarding as raising your little ones. Being a blogger has been such a blessing to my life, my career and my family that I just get so gosh darn excited when I see other moms take the leap into blogging!
Let’s get started!
There are 4 steps to starting a mommy blog (and it’s a lot easier than you think)
- Choose a domain name
- Get hosting for your site
- Install WordPress Blogging platform
- Select a theme for your website
1. Choosing a Domain Name:
Choosing a domain name is probably going to be the hardest part of setting up your blog. First you need to brainstorm a name for your blog and then figure out if the domain name you want is available. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve come up with the PERFECT name for my blog only to find out that it has already been taken. Whomp Whomp! If your name is taken, then you can start playing with some different spellings and different synonyms for your name. The most important bit of advice I can give you is to try to get the .com version of your domain name. Why? Well, while there are now many many different extensions you can get like .net, .biz, .tv the .com are still considered the most authoritative.
Pro Tip: If you purchase 1 year of hosting in advance through Bluehost, you’ll actually get a one year domain name registration for FREE!
2. Get hosting for your site:
Now that you’ve secured your domain name, you’ll need to get website hosting which is what will get your domain and website on the internet. Bluehost is a very reliable and easy host to use and I recommend it to each of my clients. The best part is that you can actually get a FREE domain name when you purchase 1 year of hosting in advance (versus paying monthly).
When it comes to Bluehost hosting options, you have 3 options:
- Starter package is $3.95/per month (12 month option)
- Plus package is $6.95/ per month (12 month option)
- Business pro package is $14.95 per month (12 month option)
Honestly, because you are just starting out, you can absolutely start with the $3.95 package. You will only need to consider an upgrade when you have a decent amount of traffic, until that happens, save yourself some money and start off with the cheapest option.
If you are on the fence about purchasing an annual hosting plan, I can assure you that it certainly is a better deal in the long run, not only do you get a better monthly price but you also have the reliability of your blog running without issue. I’ve tried to do the monthly billing cycles before and before you know it life happens (or the baby is sick) and you’ve missed a payment and your blog is on the brink of being taken offline. Do yourself a favor and just purchase the annual hosting and set it and forget it…for at least a year! Hopefully, after the first year, you’ll be ready to upgrade to the next level.
3. Install WordPress Blogging Platform onto your hosting account:
One of the reasons I recommend Bluehost is because it has a dead simple way to install WordPress, which is the BEST blogging platform out there. In order to start blogging you will need to install WordPress by following these steps:
- Once you sign up for Bluehost hosting you will get an email with a link to your CPANEL (this is the backend dashboard to your hosting account). Click on the link to go to your CPANEL.
- Once you are logged into the CPANEL click on the “Mojo Marketplace” & click the “One Install” button
- Find the WordPress icon under Blogs & click on it & then click on Start (this will begin the installation)
- Next you will have the opportunity to select which domain name you’d like associated with your WordPress installation. Click on the dropdown menu and select your newly purchased domain name.
- Next you will click on “Advanced Options” and create a username & password for your blog. Now you’ll definitely want to make sure that both your username and password are secure and unique. I would shy away from something like “Admin” & “Password” for your username and password. For maximum security use a combination of uppercase letters, numbers and symbols.
- Click on “Automatically create a new database for this installation“. This will create a new database where all of your blog posts and images will be hosted.
- After all of that, click install!
4. Select a WordPress Theme for your blog:
Now if you are anything like me, you’ll want your blog to be cute and sassy and reflect your personality! The best thing about WordPress is that there are literally THOUSANDS of themes that you can upload to your blog to make it look like anything you want..and then range from totally FREE & easy to Premium wordpress themes available for purchase.
Once again, because you are just starting out and need to figure out if this whole blogging thing is for you, then I recommend that you choose a free WordPress theme to get started. WordPress comes installed with several different WordPress themes and you can see all of the pre-installed themes by clicking on “Appearance -> Themes” while logged into your WordPress dashboard. You can select one of those themes, or choose to upload a new theme.
If you’d like to upload a new theme, click on “Add New” right near Themes. This will bring up a grid of all the available FREE themes. You can use the Advanced search feature or Keyword search to find a certain theme that fits your site. For example, if you plan to blog about photography, perhaps you’d like a photography themed site, etc. Once you have found a theme that you like, click install. Once the theme is installed, you must click on Activate to make it your main theme. Voila, your blog is ready for your first post!
Now that you’ve got your blog set up, it’s time to learn how to write a post in WordPress!