Want to know what happens when a blog post goes viral?
An amazing thing happened to me last month, as a matter of fact this thing has really only happened twice to me in my years of blogging..I had a blog post go viral…as in 205k shares on Facebook viral! This post “4 Gift Christmas Challenge” was written on October 26th on my Money Saving Sisters blog. The best part about it, is that I had no IDEA this would take off in the way that it did. In fact, I’ve written much better posts in my lifetime that have not nearly gone as viral!
I wanted to share with you the outcome of a blog post going viral, how much traffic it received, how much money I made and what I did to elongate the virality of it all.
As I mentioned before, I had no idea that this blog post would take off, in all honestly, I was just posting it as a personal blog post about what I intended to do this year. The only thing I did to promote the blog post was post a link to my Facebook page (which had 3500 fans) and posted it to my Pinterest account under “Best of MoneySavingSisters” (which had 3300 followers) THAT’s IT!
Then Something Funny Happened….
The morning after I posted the update on Facebook, I noticed it had 25 shares. I was pretty impressed with myself, Wooohoo! That night I was cruising Facebook as I was telling my husband about the 25 shares, and when I went to look at the updated share counts, it was up to 99. 4x the shares in just one day! I woke up the next morning and there were 300 shares! For several days in a row, my shared counts continued to triple! To date the total amount of Facebook shares is over 205,000!
What my traffic looked like:
I was obsessed with looking at my real time stats! At several points during this time I had over 500 people on my site at a time! This was the most amount of readers my site had ever seen at once! I was stoked!
During the two weeks of high traffic, my website generated 669,254 pageviews from over 400k unique visitors! AMAZING!.
Social Media Increase & Newsletter Signups:
As a result of the Facebook shares & increased traffic to my site, I got a nice little bump in Facebook fans & newsletter signups. During the two weeks of high engagement, I received a total of 1200 new Facebook fans & close to 400 new newsletter signups.
How Much Money Did the Blog Post Earn:
Now I know y’all want to know what this meant to my bottom line, how much money did this blog post actually bring me! I should mention that the ONLY monetization I had on this page were ads through Google & AdThrive, and according to my income reports, to date this single page has generated over $2,500, which does not include ad revenue on the other pages of my site, which the influx of traffic brought. Within the viral blog post, I did link to another post of mine which earned around $350. Overall, this single blog post generated close to $3,000 in income.
Things I did to optimize the page after it went viral:
- I added a Facebook Like box directly beneath the Blog post which resulted in a higher ‘like’ rate
- I linked to a related blog post within the content to drive traffic to the site
- I worked with AdThrive to adjust my ad placement and increase my RPM (Earnings per 1,000 pageviews)
- I sent out an email to all my subscribers thanking them for sharing the post
Why I think THIS blog post went viral?
I thought a lot about why this blog post went viral and I’m going to list my theories below, if you have any ideas, I would love to hear them!
- Timeliness – I posted this article at the right time. Just after Halloween, people are already thinking about Christmas, so the fact that this was posted just around that time, helped give it some lift.
- Eye Catching Graphic – As with all of my blog posts, I create two separate graphics: 1 for Pinterest & 1 for Facebook. I created two very visible and easy-to-understand graphics which I think helped boost the Facebook shares.
- Actionable – The concept of the 4 Gift Challenge was something that people can actually do without much effort.
- People wanted to associate themselves with it – I think that he concept of “Less is More” when it comes to Christmas gifts is something that a lot of people would like to be associated it. We no longer live in a society where it’s cool to spoil your children with millions of gifts. I think the message of the 4 gifts tugged at the heartstrings of people who upheld that value.
Overall, I am very happy with the outcome of this viral post and I can only hope that this kind of thing happens to you, because it is a thrill ride! Here’s a link to the other blog post of mine that went viral with 25k Facebook shares.