A few weeks ago, I posed a question in one of my favorite blogging Facebook groups, “Why did you start a blog?”….and honestly, I was VERY surprised at the answers. But before I tell you what the responses were, I want to tell you a little about why I normally start blogs. I start blogs, because I have inspiration or a creative idea…BUT also want to make money. I want to work from home. I want to be my own boss. So at the heart of every one of my blogging adventures lies the wish to make enough money to have freedom. And it never occurred to me that people would start a blog without monetization as a serious consideration, but what I found out in this Facebook group was that a majority of the bloggers started their blogs….because of a passion.
56% of the people who answered said they started a blog out of a passion or wanted to bring an awareness around a certain topic. Only 20 percent said they wanted to make a career from it. If you had asked me what my guesses were before the survey I would’ve said that they were flipped, that most people start blogs because of money. But the truth is..that’s not the case. That’s not why people blog. They blog because they are looking to make the world a better place. They blog because they want to have a voice. They blog because they want to connect with others with the same passion. I’m sorry..but that’s pretty freaking awesome, isn’t?
How to find your passion:
Believe it or not, not everyone knows what they are passionate about, while others have a burning in their soul for their passions. If you, like me, are not exactly sure what your passions are, that’s ok. That’s completely ok, and I challenge you to forgive yourself immediately because it doesn’t mean you can’t start a blog. In fact, it’s the opposite. You SHOULD start a blog to find out what your passions are and what you enjoy writing about.
- Write down 5 topics/things that you enjoy and can see yourself blogging about: Maybe it looks like this: Motherhood, Recipes, DIY, Fashion or Makeup.
- Create a mindmap of blogging ideas
- Then take a couple of months and write about those topics, but pay special attention to how you feel as you are writing those posts. (Psst..if you haven’t started a blog yet, visit this link!)
- Are there some blog posts you dread writing more than others? Is the fashion thing too time consuming for the payoff?
- Within the first 3-6 months you will quickly be able to find our which topics you actually WANT to write about and can at that time re-focus.
You don’t have to figure everything out at once, being a blogger, means embarking on a journey. You are allowed to be flexible with your content as you figure out what really brings out your passion. Your readers, believe it or not, will go along with you!
Leave me a comment below telling me what your passion is and a link to your website! I’d love to check it out!